Call for Cluster Proposals

 

THE CHALLENGE

The Compete Caribbean Partnership Facility (CCPF) is looking to provide support to cluster initiatives that can help Caribbean firms grow, generate employment and export to new markets.

For the purposes of this call, the clusters under consideration need to be comprised of at least three private sector firms collaborating to increase competitiveness on the regional or international market. Cluster projects can include other entities such as educational, research or government agencies.

Proponent entities should be in one of the following 13 countries: Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Grant funds awarded will cover consultancy services such as cluster management, training, market research, business development, process reengineering, research & development, etc. Grants will be allocated on a competitive basis and will require approval by an independent Investment Panel (IP) and by the IDB.

 

 

AWARDS

CCPF funding for the cluster projects selected will be in the form of non-reimbursable grants for technical assistance. The grant amount applied for should be up to a maximum of US$300,000, and should represent, at the maximum, 80% of the total project budget. Note that the proponent entity should commit the other 20% of the project budget (counterpart contribution), half of which must be in cash.

Additionally, qualifying cluster projects will be considered by CCPF to receive assistance from a professional consultant to further develop the submitted project proposal into a Cluster Development Plan (CDP), where the proposed cluster initiative is validated, and the project is elaborated in further detail as required for IDB’s project approval process.

Funds will be awarded to shortlisted cluster projects, subject to the following conditions: (a) the CDP is recommended for funding by an independent Investment Panel (IP); and (b) a legal agreement to use CCPF/IDB funding and counterpart resources towards the implementation of the selected model/project has been signed by both parties. Note that the IP and CCPF may stipulate additional requirements, prior to disbursement of funds.

 

WHO CAN PARTICIPATE

The invitation to participate in the call is open to entities from Compete Caribbean’s 13 beneficiary countries: Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Cluster projects proposed for funding should be succinctly described in the Application Form (insert link) and submitted by a formally registered private entity (lead institution) on behalf of the cluster members. Applications must demonstrate strong buy-in and leadership by the private sector firms in the clusters. Eligible organisations that can be part of a cluster project include: private sector firms, business support organisations (BSOs), industry associations, trade and investment authorities; regional association organisations; small business development centers, NGOs, universities, etc. Notwithstanding other participants, eligible cluster projects must have three or more businesses working together.

 

SCHEDULE

Launch of Call: May 20, 2019

Webinar for Questions & Answers: May 31, 2019

Submit concept notes: May 06 – July 01, 2019

Final submission deadline: July 01, 2019 (before midnight, EST timezone)

Expected Announcement of Selected concept notes: August 2019

Technical Assistance for Cluster Development Plan: September – November 2019

Review of Cluster Development Plan by Investment Panel, pitch presentations by shortlisted cluster leaders to Investment Panel, and final selection – December 2019

DATES ARE APPROXIMATE AND SUBJECT TO REVISION

 

WEBINAR AND Q&A

Join us by webinar on May 31, 2019 at 11:00 am (AST) for a regional Question and Answer session. This session is intended to answer questions about the application and selection process. To sign up for the webinar visit: http://tiny.cc/clustecallwebinar

 

ONLINE APPLICATION

For further details and to apply, visit our online application form at: https://forms.gle/xDk7kY4zGJoACPZs9

 

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS

For more information on the call for cluster proposals and for supporting documentation, please see the below links:

Cluster Call – Application Form Instructions

Cluster Call – Application Form

Cluster Call – FAQs

Cluster Call – Guidelines

Cluster Project Example 1

Cluster Project Example 2

Cluster Call – Flyer

Related Items